What We Do
Judicial Review is a dynamic High Court process in which a Judge reviews the lawfulness of a decision or action taken by a public body or a private body performing a public function.
Devonshires highly regarded Judicial Review Team handles Judicial Review Challenges brought against our public and private sector clients including Local Authorities, Social Landlords and Prison and Detention Centre operators.
Some examples of our experience include:
- Acting for the Director of HMP Bronzefield and Peterborough in relation to challenges brought by inmates seeking their early release from prison;
- Acting for the Director of Harmondsworth Detention Centre in relation to a challenge brought by inmates demanding a public enquiry into a disturbance at the Centre;
- Acting for Social Landlords and Local Authorities in relation to decisions about the management and allocation of housing;
- Acting for Social Landlords and Local Authorities in bringing possession proceedings in the County Court where the tenant has threatened to bring Judicial Review proceedings;
- Advising on decisions of Regulatory Bodies including decisions of ombudsman, regulators and government department.
The Judicial Review group can also advise on how to organise your business in order to minimise the threat of Judicial Review and Human Rights Act challenges in both the High and County Courts.
For further information please contact Nick Billingham, Philip Barden or Mark London.