On Saturday 27 November 2021, during a virtual annual conference, Plaid Cymru approved the Co-operative Agreement between the party and Welsh Government.
Below, we set out actions proposed within the Agreement to highlight matters that may affect the housing sector:
- Second Homes – plans include a cap on the number of second and holiday homes, measures to bring more homes into common ownership and a statutory licensing scheme for holiday lets;
- National Construction Company – plans to establish a National Construction Company (Unnos) to support councils and social landlords to improve the supply of social and affordable housing;
- Building Safety – the introduction of a second phase of the Welsh Building Safety Fund and significant reform of the current system of building safety;
- Property and Fair Rents – publish a White Paper to include proposals for a right to adequate housing and to look at new approaches to make homes affordable;
- Homelessness – plans to end homelessness include a reform of housing law, enactment of the Renting Homes Act and implementation the Homeless Action Group recommendations.
The Agreement also sets out plans towards net zero.
A copy of the Agreement can be found here.