Knowledge and experience
We have been providing specialist legal advice in relation to inquests and inquiries since 1998 as well in relation to health and safety matters.
Our team is led by individuals with an extensive and broad scope of knowledge in this field, and we are recognised for acting for a variety of clients, including Registered Providers, care home providers, as well as vulnerable individuals such as veteran soldiers.
Over the years, we have built up a well-known reputation for expertise in dealing with inquests of all lengths and complexities, as well as inquiries particularly relating to historical military matters.
Health and safety is a key and crucial part of our practice and our team has specialist knowledge and experience in acting for clients in preparing for and defending health and safety action.
We have acted in numerous inquests and inquiries in the following areas:
- Housing & Care;
- Construction, Development & Property Maintenance where a health & safety breach has resulted in a death (a member of the public, a resident, a contractor or an employee), and such breaches are investigated and prosecuted by the HSE;
- For businesses where deaths have occurred on their sites and/or where staff members have died; and
- The more general context, when family members are seeking explanations or Prosecutions, or when clients are facing potential prosecution.
We also conduct policy reviews, and offer an independent review service to determine if there were any failures within an organisation, which may have contributed, or led to, the death of an individual(s) and make recommendations to avoid a similar incident occurring again in future.
A specialist team
Our cross-departmental team comprises Philip Barden and James Dunn (Litigation & Dispute Resolution), Kathryn Kligerman (Construction and Health & Safety) and Samantha Grix (Housing Management & Property Litigation). The team all lead on different elements of the Inquest team, each with their own specialities:
- Philip and James specialise in military and historical cases;
- Kathryn leads on health & safety work, advising clients in relation to deaths resulting from health & safety breaches;
- Samantha deals with our inquests in the housing management and care context, as well as representing businesses and organisations generally.
We also have the benefit of having a Care Team (of which Kathryn and Samantha are part) to draw on other specialist knowledge in the firm as and when necessary, such as in respect of safeguarding.
For more information, please contact one of our specialists detailed on the right hand side.