Sustainability and decarbonisation is set to be one of the biggest issues of the next decade and more; at which all manner of organisations (nationally and internationally) will be expected to play their part in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and tackling the wider climate-change issues by taking a more sustainable approach to the way they operate and do business.
In addition to the climate emergency, imperative social issues have instigated major regulatory and structural changes in various markets, placing Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) adherence at the top of many organisations’ agendas.
Knowledge and experience
We can help businesses and organisations navigate this complex landscape – supporting the delivery of ESG strategies to achieve policy objectives, seeking to embed sustainability into board agendas, and providing guidance on supply chain procurement as well as meeting disclosure and regulatory obligations.
Our multi-disciplinary sustainability team can assist you in dealing with these challenges and has expertise across a number of departments, supporting you in the following areas:
Procurement and creation of ESCO arrangements, including:
- Energy Supply Agreements and customer supply agreements
- Tenant consultation requirements
- Updates to management company structures
- Funding and maintenance arrangements
- Joint Venture arrangements
- Establishing appropriate frameworks and dynamic purchasing systems to support clients in delivering upgrades to existing portfolios, including advice on the procurement process and preparation of the contract documentation
Construction / Contracts / General, including:
- Preparation of fresh standard-form contracts (and ancillary documents) incorporating decarbonisation requirements
- Dispute resolution arising in respect of delivery of decarbonisation works
- Grant funding applications (i.e. Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund / Green Homes Grant Local Authority Delivery Scheme / Sustainable Warmth Competition for Local Authorities)
Solar PV projects, including:
- Lease, licence, and concession agreement arrangements
- Related lender and third party consent issues
- Housing management matters such as tenancy variations and tenant consultation
- All-party considerations in relation to the provision of EV charging facilities
- Acquisition of development plots and commercial real estate, adopting new technologies to achieve carbon efficiency
- Negotiating and drafting planning obligations for commercial and private landowners, developers, and local authorities
- Advising on and due diligence of planning permissions, conditions, and planning obligations
- Site assembly including acquisition and extinguishment of rights
- Advice on local authority issues, such as powers, procedures, and policies.
Asset Management, including:
- Regulatory and legislative changes engaging with residents and neighbouring entities
- Costs recovery capabilities
- Service charges on certain landlord/leaseholder arrangements
- Decarbonisation and retrofit works and associated preparatory works paving the way for net zero across a number of client sectors.
A specialist, multi-disciplinary team
We have expert lawyers covering all aspects of commercial enterprise, construction, corporate, development, finance, governance, and procurement who specialise in supporting clients with their sustainability, decarbonisation and ESG objectives and how they plan to approach their journey towards net zero carbon/greenhouse gas emissions.
For more information, please contact one of our specialists detailed on the right hand side.