Areas of Expertise
Richard is Partner in Devonshires Construction, Engineering & Procurement Team.
Located in our Leeds Office, Richard provides tailored construction advice to clients across a number of key areas including project risk management, dispute avoidance and the resolution of complex construction disputes. A leading construction lawyer, Richard regularly represents clients at arbitration, adjudication and in other forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR).
Richard’s notable areas of expertise include:
- Advising on major infrastructure projects; particularly in the building, power, civils/infrastructure and process engineering sectors.
- Advising on procurement strategies, risk management and dispute avoidance and management – acting for clients’ which include hotels, tramways, process and petrochem plants and universities, as well residential, utilities and retail sectors.
Over his expansive career Richard has acted for Owners, Contractors, Funders and Construction and Engineering professionals across all fields.
Prior to Devonshires, Richard was a Partner at Gately PLC working in their Construction Services Team specialising in contentious construction matters, dispute avoidance and real-time project management. Before this, Richard was a Partner at Pinsent Masons LLP, working in their Construction, Advisory and Disputes Team.
Richard graduated from the University of Leeds in 1991 with a Bachelor of Laws Degree (Honours) and qualified as a solicitor in October 1997 following his traineeship at Vaudreys.
Richard is a member of a number of professional organisations including:
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- The Society of Construction Law (“SCL”)
- The Technology and Construction Solicitors Association (“TeCSA”)
- The Chartered Institute Civil Engineering Surveyors (“ICES”)
- The Law Society of England & Wales,
- The Law Society of Scotland
Get in touch
|0113 733 7029|
| Leeds Office
Devonshires Solicitors LLP
First Floor, No 1 Whitehall Riverside, Whitehall Road
|020 7880 4260|
Acting for two defendants in one of the earliest reported cases on the definition of "dispute" under the HGCRA'96 (see Fastrack Contractors –v- Morrision and Impregilo  B.L.R. 168
Successfully acting for a major public body with regard to substantial disputes relating to a highly publicised, £1.2 billion infrastructure project which was in delay by three years and over budget by 140% (Edinburgh Trams).
Acting for a power contractor in relation to numerous adjudication claims (combined value in excess of £100 million) relating to two innovative gas turbine CHP plants located in Blackburn and in Stoke.
Part of a team acting as Project Counsel in connection with the management of risk and the recovery of claims ($250m) under a $1 billion contract to provide engineering, procurement and construction services regarding subsea equipment and support for the $60 billion Gorgon upstream natural gas field development.